Sometimes your little people need inspiration to get them to go to sleep…or go back to sleep…or stay asleep for at least 4 hours! I saw a similar DIY night light on DesignSponge, and knew I had to make one for myself. Well, not for me, but I needed a baby gift for my dear friend’s baby boy and this looked creative, fun and useful. A bonus is that the canvas looks great even during the day as artwork. Let’s get started so it’s finished before bedtime :).
What you will need:
- 16×20 stretched canvas
- Acrylic craft paint (I chose navy)
- Paint brushes (a small to medium sponge brush and a small regular paint brush for fine detail)
- ‘Nap Hard Dream Big’ printable: DIY Night Light Nap Hard Dream Big Template
- Clear acrylic sealer
- Mini battery operated string of lights
1. First, print off your ‘Nap Hard Dream Big’ printable: DIY Night Light Nap Hard Dream Big Template.
2. Next, place this print-out over your canvas and then hold up over a window to make your own light-box. Trace the letters with a pencil.
3. After you have traced the letters, then using a fun paint color (I used navy), paint around your letters. If you have a steady hand, then great! If you don’t, like me, then your “hand-painted” canvas will look more child-like, which is very fitting for a night light, am I right?!
4. Once your canvas is painted and dried (after you’ve done enough coats to get the color you want–2 coats for me), you then need to spray it with a finishing spray, clear acrylic sealer).
5. Next, staple your mini battery operated string of lights along the inside of the canvas frame. Make sure to criss-cross your lights.
6. Finally, staple a ribbon to a bottom corner of the back of the canvas to tie the battery box of the string of lights down.
7. Turn on your night light and turn off your room lights to see how AWESOME you are at making the most amazing night light EVER!
If you don’t feel up to making your child a night light, then check these out: