“Mom, I want to make some homemade mac and cheese,” said #2Son. ” I saw a recipe on YouTube.” And so, my series, Cooking with Kids, continues!
Raising three boys, ages 17, 15 and 11, mac and cheese is a staple in our house. With this baked recipe, bacon is thrown in, because we know everything tastes better with bacon, and cottage cheese is used which is packed with protein! You may want to make two batches. My kids ate the whole dish in one sitting!!
What’s great about this recipe is there really isn’t any knife work. You could chop your bacon with a knife or just tear it into pieces like we did. This recipe is a lot of mixing and measuring, but fairly easy for your child to help with. Always supervise your kids when using the stove, oven, knives and kitchen appliances. Also, don’t forget to have your kids help clean up! That is all apart of the experience.
Say GOOD-BYE to instant mac and cheese and HELLO to easy, hearty and oh-so yummy Homemade Bacon Mac and Cheese. Enjoy!
- 4-5 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 cups whole or reduced-fat milk
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 lb. sharp cheddar, grated
- 1 16-oz. package elbow pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray your baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Cook 4-5 strips of bacon in a skillet, cool then crumble and set aside.
- In a blender, we used our NutriBullet, mix cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper together. You can omit the mustard if you don't have it. We did and it still tasted great!
- Reserve ¼ cup grated cheese for topping.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining cheese, blended milk mixture, bacon and uncooked pasta.
- Pour into prepared dish, cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, stir gently, sprinkle with reserved cheese and dot with a tablespoon of butter (optional).
- Bake, uncovered, an additional 30 minutes until golden brown. Keep checking on it. I could have pulled ours out a bit earlier. It ended up being extra golden brown, but that didn't stop my boys for eating all of it!